Book Club Discussion Guide
- Why do you think Elizabeth’s husband Jake accepted her close relationship with Samantha and Samantha’s husband Richard could not?
- What was Samantha’s part in the love triangle between her, Elizabeth and Richard?
- Do you feel Richard’s demands at the beginning were based on not wanting to lose Samantha? Did he want something from her that she and Elizabeth had?
- Do you think Samantha felt in some way responsible for Elizabeth’s illness?
- How do you think Samantha’s and Elizabeth’s parents were treated by their son-in-laws?
- How could the family have managed their reactions to Elizabeth’s illness differently? Do you think they had unrealistic hope?
- Do you think Samantha is defined by her care taking role?
- Do you think Samantha and Richard will end up staying married? What would you do in a similar situation?
- What is the significance of the title Appearances?
- Discuss the concept of having enough love in one’s heart for a husband and a sister
PAST BOOK CLUB APPEARANCES
- Book Club in Rye Brook, NY
- New Seabury Book Club, Cape Cod, MA
- Pinebrook Country Club Book Club, Weston, MA
- Nantucket Book Club, Nantucket, MA